08 August 2007

The first step


This is the first post of many intended. The impetus for this blog is to record my thoughts and observations as I live, study and work in England, along with my husband, starting at the end of August 2007. I entitled the blog "A Manor of Speaking" for several reasons. One: In the academic year 2003-2004 I studied abroad at the University of Birmingham, and had the pleasure of living in a Manor House with its very own "Farm Park". Sadly, the dormitories of the Manor House are being destroyed, and I felt the Manor House could live on in memory here. Two: A Manor House is quintessentially British. Three: The second part of the title concerns mine and my husband's love of language and communication.
One of the first things travellers unaviodably interact with in a foreign country is the language and the ability to communicate with local people. How we communicate and what we are communicating is an important part of social life, and one that is infinately facinating to me. I intend to record my experiences in the UK and all the other places I intend to go while on the other side of the Earth. Additionally, I love to take pictures, and hope to regularly include them in postings.
Finaly, I hope this blog can be help maintain a connection with friends and family in the US and otherwise while we are away, and I encourage anyone reading this blog to write me questions and comments you have on things I say, or things I don't say.

1 comment:

Flee said...

Damn good start my friend.
Look forward to many more :-)