17 September 2007

Better than Castle Danger


If you find yourself driving through Duluth, MN and along the coastline on Hwy 61, you may notice a sign for “Castle Danger”. The first time I saw this, I thought, ‘oh cool! A castle, I can’t wait to visit some gloomy fall day…’ only to embarrassingly learn later on that it is some dinky little town, with no hint of a castle. Fortunately for me, I have moved to Great Britain, where there are castles in abundance. In fact there is a ruined one approximately 5 miles from my doorstep. So Mac and I set out for a walk with our newly purchased Ordinance Survey Map to footpath-it there this past Saturday afternoon. We had a sunny day with ‘Simpson’s clouds’ (the perfect ones from the TV show) and walked through woodlands, fields, cow pastures, and the charming city of Kenilworth to arrive at the castle. Lucky for us, we found another public footpath that loops around the castle, which we took, as we have already been inside the castle. In walking on this path, we passed 3 different people who all seemed to have named their dog "Millie", and one family who named their child the very same. But besides the unusual quantity of "Millies", there was a lack of gothic chill about the place, bathed in sunshine and laughing children (unless they, too, were named Millie), so we just took a nap in grass.

To my benefit, I took some lovely pictures (so did Mac) and photoshopped the castle into a more gloom and doom-did you just see that-I am sure someone is breathing heavily just behind me-kind of castle. I can hardly wait for Halloween.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Hey we are just getting started with this test post love you both.